Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Need help with signature

  1. #1
    Inactive Member karbipbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I need help with my signature. I have used the search option and tried to help myself, but I can't fix the lates problem. My picture comes up HUGE!! I went to photobucket like another post said to, but I'm not sure how to make my picture smaller. I also tried to make the text colored by typing [color=pin] and that didn't work either.

    Oh dear...Could someone please help the photo illiterate!!?? Thank you so much!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member MOM to JILLIAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Glad you asked the question about resizing a photo. We had the same problem this weekend. I'd love to hear what others say.

    For the color question. Do the following...

    [ color=red] then wiite your text and then type [/color]

    Take out the space between [ and the word color to make it work. I couldn't leave it like that or it actually wrote my message in RED.

  3. #3
    mypinkmermaid
    Guest mypinkmermaid's Avatar

    Post

    Hope this helps some with photo sizing:
    Here is some info that may help end some of the confusion regarding image and file sizes. I work with photos on line and in print all the time, and 150-200 ppi is sufficient info even for printed photographs. One of the most common mistakes made is confusing dpi (dots per inch) and ppi (pixels per inch). Dpi is what we print on paper and has no relation to ppi, which is what we see on our computer monitor. Pixels per inch is what we need to worry about here. The most you need to view online is 96 ppi. 150 ppi gives you more detail than you will ever need to view on these web pages. Where people get confused resizing their photos is the relationship of ppi to image size. The average digital camera these days gives you a file of about 72 ppi (sounds low, doesn't it) but the picture is a whopping 30x40 inches! You can resize it down to about 3x5, but now it is 450 or so ppi! You have to both resize, and reduce your ppi to get manageable file sizes. For the sake of easy downloading, whether emailing or including in your posts, try never to exceed 100kb total file size (and even can be a strain on dial up), or preferably 25 to 35 kilobytes (kb). You can also reduce your file size with jpg compression. When you save a copy of a 4x6 inch 300 ppi photo, you get a choice of jpg compression levels (usually) from 1 to 12. 12 will give you a 2 megabyte photo, which is appropriate for printing, but will choke even a DSL line on a bad day! Save at about level 5 if you still want to be able to print it out, and level 3 will give you a file of about 150kb, still potentially too large for the web. 96 ppi will give even smaller, and more desirable files for posting on this and other boards.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member karbipbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img] It still won't work. I get what you're saying, but I don't know how to change the size. Where is that option? In photobucket? In the origional program? It can't be this hard. Everyone has one! [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img]

    Now it's so small and I don't even know how I changed it!! Goodness...

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 27, 2006 02:31 PM: Message edited by: karbipbaby ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nana - I can tell you know what your are doing, but can you simplify it for us technically challenged. Maybe a step by step format? Say we already have our picture downloaded to our computer, what do we do with it? Also, do you need special software to do this?


    For those of you using Photobucket, here is what I do:

    1. Go to your picture and click on edit.
    2. Click on reduce size.
    3. I usually reduce by 50% or 75% but it depends on your original image size.
    4. Copy the [IMG] reduced picture tag. I think it is the 3rd choice on the bottom.
    5. Paste this tag on HB in your signature profile.
    6. Press Update Signature.
    7. Go back to HB and see if it looks OK on one of your posts.

    These are instructions to get the right visual size but your picture may still have more pixels than needed, but at least it will get you a picture you can use.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 27, 2006 02:42 PM: Message edited by: judiaci ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by karbipbaby:
    [QB] [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img] It still won't work. I get what you're saying, but I don't know how to change the size. Where is that option? In photobucket? In the origional program? It can't be this hard. Everyone has one! [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img]

    Now it's so small and I don't even know how I changed it!! Goodness...

    Wow - when you re-size a picture, you REALLY re-size a picture. Your picture is the size of a sugar cube on my computer. If you used photobucket to re-size, you will have to delete the picture and start over. You cannot make that picture big again on photobucket.

    1. So, delete the tiny picture from photobucket.

    2. Re-download your original big picture into photobucket.

    3. Follow the instructions I posted just above.

    4. Let us know if it worked!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Your camera should have come with some computer software that lets you edit pictures. There should be something about "crop" that you can use to make the picture (a lot) smaller.

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Everyone's software is different, so I think the best way for us to help is to volunteer to make graphics smaller for people who need help. My software only deals in dpi and size dimensions, so information about ppi doesn't work for me.

    karbipbaby, I'm going to make your graphic smaller and send it to you via e-mail. Be on the lookout! [img]smile.gif[/img]

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ February 27, 2006 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Everyone's software is different, so I think the best way for us to help is to volunteer to make graphics smaller for people who need help.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shouldn't all camera software have something to crop pictures with? Everyone I've ever had/seen does. Can't imagine what the good of a digital camera would be if you can't resize things with the software it comes with.

  10. #10
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cami, my response was in reference to the fact that we can't have general step-by-step instructions on how to crop photos. Each graphic editing program is so different, it's not going to work.

    For example, I could write out all the details on how I crop photos, but it would only work for other members who, like me, have Snapshot Express.

    I tried to come up with instructions for resizing in Paint, since almost everyone has that, but it seems to take away the photo when you try to resize (eek!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •